Saturday, November 17, 2007

Silk Road

Silk Road is a project that began about ten years ago. I began writing it after getting into using computers and samplers to write music. The eleven pieces were written over a two year period and used no live musicians. Just me and my gear in my studio. The project was inspired by my studies in World Music and Gamelan with American Composer Lou Harrison at San Jose State University. More about Lou in a future blog. The CD uses the Silk Road as a metaphor blending musical ideas from around the world in combination with more modern genres. The CD spent about a year on MP3.com and did quite well in the World Fusion category. It was also distributed in a small area in Northern California in music kiosks in Whole Foods Market locations. About two years ago I decided to re-record it using live musicians. I found some incredible musicians in the Bay Area including Shan Kenner on guitar, Ma Jie on Pipa (Chinese Lute), Nayo Ulloa on Andean Flute and Anne Hutcherson on Oboe and English Horn. I played Bass as well as keyboards. My wife Maria did the art work. I am looking forward to working with them on future projects. You can hear examples of Silk Road on my website at http://www.vincentflores.com/ The CD can be purchased at CD Baby. I hope you enjoy the music.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice, brother. Look forward to future posts. I'm beginning to think I'm the only one in the country without a blog! Maybe when I retire in April and actually have some time to myself. Love you Vince. Ron