Friday, December 28, 2007

President Huckabee?


I'm a liberal. I listen to a lot of conservative and Christian talk radio. I figure why should I listen to liberal talk radio. I already know what they're saying. I figure I should listen to the other side so that I can get a better understanding of what they're saying. I was listening to Sean Hannity (what a moron) interview Mike Huckabee. The interview focused on the recent flap over the release of convicted rapist/murderer Wayne Dumond. You can read more about that story here
I'm sure there are two sides to the story. There always are. Lots of spin on both sides. Since Huckabee has become a serious contender for the Republican nomination, there will be a lot of dirt being dug up. There has been a lot of focus on Huckabee and his religious beliefs. He was the youngest ever head of the Arkansas State Baptist Convention and produced video Bible lessons with his friend Pastor Jay D Cole. His Baptist background and beliefs were not mentioned in the Hannity (what a moron) interview, but he makes no bones about the role his religion plays in his personal and political life. The part of the interview that really caught my attention was when Huckabee was talking about how the Dumond incident would be spun by his opponents as him being soft on crime. His response was that he presided over more executions than any governor in the history of Arkansas. Wow. As everyone knows, executions really lower the crime rate. He also stated that he had increased the prison population in Arkansas by something like 40%. That certainly qualifies him to be president. When I got home I thought I would see what Jesus had to say about executions and incarceration so I got out my bible that has what Jesus said highlighted in red. It's really funny, I couldn't find a single thing relating to executing criminals or increasing the prison population. Maybe I missed it. I don't know, maybe I have the wrong idea of what a Christian really is. I thought it had to do with helping the poor, healing the sick and caring for those less fortunate, that sort of thing. There were alot of references to those kinds of things in red. Maybe I should look a little more closely since most politicians that say they're Christians say the same kinds of things that Huckabee says. I wonder why he chose to release Dumond? Maybe it was an act of Christian charity. After all, Dumond claimed he was "born again" after spending alot of time in prison reading the bible and praying with Pastor Cole.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

yay. you're still posting!

Erica said...

Hi Uncle Vince!
Just want you to know I've loved reading your blog - I miss you, and it's like I get to hear you talking every once in a while . . .

Er

Raquel said...

I love that you're thinking about this and trying to get both sides... as usual, you rock.

It seems to me that the core difference is that Jesus didn't touch power, politics, or clout with a ten foot pole. Quite the contrary. He chose the poor, the destitute, the broken to love on (check out the gospels and notice who Jesus chastised... interesting stuff). He came in the most humble of circumstances so that the glory would be given to God and not man.

..sigh..
it's a tough dynamic - expecting a person who claims Christ to act like Christ. because the Bible also says that we're nowhere near as cool as Christ but that we should still keep trying to be like Christ. it's hard, though, for me to lower my expectations of a Christian down to a human level. I wonder if I'm even supposed to... I'm gonna have to chew on this one a bit.